Saturday, September 24, 2011

Sweet and savory meatballs with couscous

The other day my co-worker Sarah mentioned making meatballs in grape jelly and chilli sauce and it immediately got my attention. Mixing sweet and savory has always been my favorite. I got the recipe and tried it next day:

1 lb ground beef
1 egg slightly beaten
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 tsp. parsley
1 tsp. salt
1/2 onion chopped finely
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp. pepper

Mix well - make small balls.  I usually start out small and end up with jumbos

1 bottle chili sauce
  Half 10 oz. bottle grape jelly
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp. soy sauce

Boil on medium low until smooth.  Add meatballs and cook 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours.


My little variation of the recipe: I used only half jar of jelly and should have used even less - it gets a little sweet. I add extra lime juice and chopped onion (the remains from the meatball mix) and green peppers because I add these to just about anything:-). I served the meatballs and the sauce over couscous, mixed and it turned out great!  Can be prepared as a party appetizer, with a toothpick on each ball.  

I would include a picture but we were so starved that we served and ate right away before the camera could even say hi!


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment