Wednesday, September 28, 2011

On the Mexican side....

I've been quite into homemade Mexican / South American dips lately, for the sole reason that we can never find the perfect store-bought salsa. During tomato season, I love my fresh salsa roja, and only a few days ago I tried making guacamole for the first time and cleared the bowl within an hour. I also have a spice mix for chimmichurri that I'm also making for the next steak dinner.

I was browsing some blogs today and came across this great looking recipe for salsa verde by Kristina and would love to share it. I never thought much of the green salsa version but now I'm very curious to try the tomatillos too!

Salsa Verde

8-10 larger tomatillos, or 20-25 smaller ones
2 cloves garlic
1 green jalapeño
1/2 bunch chopped cilantro leaves
sea salt


Bring a large pot of water to boil. Remove the husks from the tomatillos and rise them. Add the tomatillos and jalapeño to the pot and boil until all are soft enough to pierce easily with a fork.

Mash the garlic cloves, then add the cilantro and grind until a rough paste forms. Then add the jalapeño and combine, followed by the tomatillos – a few at a time.

Add sea salt to taste. (I might also drizzle a little olive oil.)

I'm trying it this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment