Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Latest loot

There is that used bookstore I randomly came across to one day while I was walking to the Mid-Manhattan library, called Book-off. They moved to 45th and 6th since but I still take the walk from work every now and then. It's Japanese owned there there is plenty of Japanese music, cartoons, music and books, but besides this, a lot of used books ranging from a dollar to 7 or 10. If you have the time - go and browse. Some of the titles are pretty recent and the condition of most books is awesome. They are sort of arranged into sections and alphabetically but I'd recommend to just browse and hope you find a gem. Just like in stores like Marshalls and Target.

They also have used games, CDs and DVDs but I usually go for the books.

Here is the latest loot:



I tried to do a healthy balance of fiction and non-fiction. Fiction is easy to read but I sometimes feel guilty that I don't read anything educational any more.

* Survival of the prettiest - I never thought of prettiness throughout the ages and cultures
* Prisoner of Tehran - A strong woman's account of her terrible time in probably one of the worst prisons
* A cat is watching - I picked this up because we just got a kitty and I know very little about their behavior
* The genius in all of us - They promised me that IQ is not genetic:-)
* The Female Brain - Well, I probably know most things from experience but it may still be interesting to read and loan to a fellow guy friend.
* Geek Love - According to the reviews, there is nothing geeky about this story. Idea sounded very intriguing though and it scored an award.
* Spook - I love Mary Roach's Bonk and Stiff books. Her style is so funny and easy.
* The cellist of Sarajevo - It is a story from my part of the world and I always love reading more about it.

I'll have some fun home time these next few cold months. 

What's on your reading list?

No comments:

Post a Comment